THE SAILOR'S LOG II

Welcome to my world! It's sometimes routine, sometimes crazy, and through it all I yearn to travel (and do accomplish some of that).

Name:
Location: Everett, Washington

Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Great 5000 Mile Road Trip

Currently Reading:


Driving Mr. Albert: A Trip Across America With Einstein's Brain

By Michaqel Paterniti

I'm sitting here thinking, researching and dreaming....and I shall share with the public at large.
When I am let go from the Navy in the last month of my contract, I have made plans and ambitions to drive cross country. I have spent several other nights brainstorming this large trip, and did so again tonight.

I went online and figured out again what places I would go, how long I would drive each day, and where I would stay....as well as how much it would cost.

Below you'll find the summary of all of the above. Before I began all this, I started off with the idea of having bought a truck camper. I browsed these online before I started research, when I saw that I could get a used truck camper, to put on the back of my truck, for somewhere between $500 and $1000. What is listed below is a combination of hostel stay, RV campground stays, and other friend's houses en route.

Trip plans....

Oct 14/15 - Seattle to LA, picking up Zach along the way
Miles: 1166
Time: 18 hours
Stay: Hostel California - Venice Beach $15.50 for the night

Oct 16 - LA to Santa Fe
Miles: 848
Time: 12 hours
Stay: Santa Fe KOA campground $28

Oct 17 - Santa Fe to Houston
Miles: 874
Time: 13 hours
Stay: Frankie’s house

Oct 18 - Houston to Chattanooga
Miles: 815
Time: 12 hours
Stay: Chattanooga South/Lookout Mountain KOA $29

Oct 19 - Chattanooga to Alexandria, VA
Miles: 601
Time: 9 ½ hours
Stay: One of the Davids’ apartments

Oct 20 - Alexandria, VA/Washington DC to HOME
Miles: 730 miles
Time: 12 hours
Stay: HOME

TOTAL MILES: 5034
TOTAL DRIVING TIME: 76 ½ hours
TOTAL LODGING COST: $72.50
ESTIMATED FUEL COST (BASED ON ESTIMATED 10 MPG AND $2/GALLON GAS): $1006

So, what do you all think of that planning? Is there anyone out there who wants to join in? If I do buy a truck camper, it would have sleeping room for four. However, the truck would only allow two other travelers (and only one if Zach does join this road trip).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home